Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS)
Search filters applied
Benefits of a VA home loan
Published 08/03/2012 02:59 PM | Updated 06/27/2017 08:08 AMWhat are the benefits of a VA home loan?
There are many benefits of a VA Home loan:
- Equal opportunity.
- No down payment (unless required by the lender or the purchase price is more than the reasonable value of the property).
- Buyer informed of reasonable value.
- Negotiable interest rate.
- Ability to finance the VA funding fee (plus reduced funding fees with a down payment of at least 5% and exemption for veterans receiving VA compensation).
- Closing costs are comparable with other financing types (and may be lower).
- No mortgage insurance premiums.
- An assumable mortgage.
- Right to prepay without penalty.
- For homes inspected by VA during construction, a warranty from builder and assistance from VA to obtain cooperation of builder.
- VA assistance to veteran borrowers in default due to temporary financial difficulty.