Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.


Advanced SearchOpens new dialog
Search Tips
Screen Reader users press enter to select a Filter by product.  Filter by product
Search filters applied

What is Combat-Related Special Compensation?

Published 07/10/2004 11:25 AM   |    Updated 01/16/2013 03:16 PM
What is Combat-Related Special Compensation and Why Is It Important?

Simply put, Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) provides military retirees a monthly compensation that is intended to replace some or all of their retired pay that is withheld due to receipt of VA compensation. CRSC is payable for disabilities that are found to be related to combat. This includes disabilities that were incurred in actual combat, while engaged in hazardous service, in the performance of duty simulating was, and as a result of an instrumentality of war. The amount of CRSC payable is directly related to the evaluation(s) assigned to combat-related disability(ies), but cannot exceed the amount of withheld retired pay.

Am I Eligible for CRSC?

To qualify for CRSC you must:

Be a Military Retiree with 20 or more years of service. This includes Chapter 61 Medical Retirees and National Guard and Reserve with 20 or more good years.

Have a Combat Related VA disability rating of 10% or higher, or a disability directed related to a Purple Heart.

How Do I Apply for CRSC?

Please understand that CRSC is not a VA program. To receive CRSC, you must submit your application (DD form 2860) through your parent military service branch. Each service branch has the authority to determine your eligibility.

For more information on how to apply, contact your parent military branch:

DoD Defenselink

U.S. Total Army Personnel Command      1-866-281-3254 toll free

Naval Council of Personnel Boards       1-877-366-2772 toll free

United States Air Force Personnel Center    1-866-229-7074 Toll Free

Commanding Officer (RAS)
U.S. Coast Guard Personnel Service Center        1-866-772-8724