Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.


Advanced SearchOpens new dialog
Search Tips
Screen Reader users press enter to select a Filter by product.  Filter by product
Search filters applied

Can I get health care from my private physician or at a private hospital at VA expense?

Published 11/16/2004 10:09 AM   |    Updated 03/01/2011 10:50 AM
Can I get health care from my private physician or at a private hospital at VA expense?
By law, VA has to provide care within the VA system unless certain circumstances exist. Only when appropriate VA officials determine that certain VA services are unavailable or cannot be economically provided, can a veteran be authorized to obtain care through private sources at VA expense.
VA can pay only for primary medical care services not previously authorized by VA officials when the care was provided under the following circumstances:
· Treatment was provided for an adjudicated service-connected disability, for any condition for a permanently and totally disabled service-connected veteran, or for a nonservice-connected disability associated with an aggravating a service-connected disability
· Medical care and services were provided in a medical emergency
· VA or other federal medical facilities could not provide the medical services you needed or if you were not physically able to travel to our facilities because of your health.
In the absence of any one of these three conditions VA cannot assume responsibility for the payment of or reimbursement for the cost of non VA care.