Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.


Advanced SearchOpens new dialog
Search Tips
Screen Reader users press enter to select a Filter by product.  Filter by product
Search filters applied

If I enroll in VA for health care, can I receive care anywhere in the VA system?

Published 11/16/2004 10:17 AM   |    Updated 07/11/2018 12:26 PM
If I enroll in VA for health care, can I receive care anywhere in the VA system?
Yes. Once enrolled, you are part of a national health care system with more than 1,000 locations of care. Generally, you will receive your preventive and primary care at the VA location you have selected as your Preferred Facility during the enrollment process
If you are visiting or living in a foreign country and need medical services, you or your provider must go through the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for reimbursement.   The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) is a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care benefits program for U.S. Veterans who are residing or traveling abroad and have VA-rated, service-connected disabilities. The eligibility requirements for medical services are different for Veterans outside the United States than for Veterans living within the United States. The Foreign Medical Program assumes payment responsibility for U.S. Veterans only for a VA-rated service-connected disability, or any disability associated with and held to be aggravating a VA-rated, service-connected disability.  For more FMP program information, please visit