Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.


Advanced SearchOpens new dialog
Search Tips
Screen Reader users press enter to select a Filter by product.  Filter by product
Search filters applied

Grief Counseling, Death in Service

Published 11/16/2004 10:42 AM   |    Updated 03/11/2019 10:10 AM

Can I obtain grief or bereavement counseling if my parent, spouse, or child is killed while in the service of their country?

Grief / Bereavement Counseling is now being offered to parents, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who died in the service of their country. Also eligible are family members of reservists and National Guardsmen who die while on duty. Counseling is offered at Vet Centers.

  • For more information and to find the nearest Vet Center, call 1-800-827-1000 or go to our Find VA Locations search tool.