Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.


Advanced SearchOpens new dialog
Search Tips
Screen Reader users press enter to select a Filter by product.  Filter by product
Search filters applied

Can I reopen a claim for disability compensation?

Published 01/24/2005 12:27 PM   |    Updated 07/19/2012 03:02 PM
Can I reopen a claim for disability compensation if I have developed more physical ailments subsequent to the determination for my service-connected disability?

You can file a supplemental disability claim at any time.  If you would like to reopen a claim that was previously denied, you will need to submit new and material evidence showing why service connection is warranted.  If you are already service-connected for a disability, you may request reevaluation if you feel the condition has worsened.  If you would like to claim service connection for a new condition, then you may submit your claim on blank paper stating the condition, date the disability began, and where you were treated. VA will obtain your service medical records for those conditions treated in service. Conditions treated by private doctors will require an authorization release form. This process will begin when your claim is received. Please provide your VA claim number on all correspondence. If you have further questions, please feel free to call us toll free at 1-800-827-1000, Monday thru Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You may also file your claim in person with a Benefits Representative at your nearest VA office.